Dear Friends, Family, Supporters, and Community Members,
My good people, there comes a time in every person’s life when they must make a stand for what they believe in. For me, that time is now. I believe that we can build a better, more sustainable food system right here in San Jose, without a huge sum of money. This is my stand. And this is the purpose of Garden to Table.
The challenges are real. Urban residents are fundamentally disconnected from their food system, urban land is expensive, bad food is cheap, and growing good food is hard work.
The solution is simple: Grow food where most people live and harness the many underutilized resources in the urban environment—idle land, neglected fruit trees, lots of sunshine, and local residents. Garden to Table’s method for building a sustainable local food system uses all of these resources, and we’ve seen incredible progress. In our short existence, we have already:
• Renovated idle urban spaces into eight neighborhood gardens that grow organic vegetables for 23 households, an at-risk youth home, and two elementary schools.
• Donated over 30,000 pounds of fruit to Central San Jose food pantries by harvesting neglected fruit trees.
• Taught dozens of classes on gardening and nutrition to hundreds of San Jose residents.
• Helped change the zoning ordinance in San Jose on urban agriculture (urban farms and aquaponics now permitted in industrial zones, with commercial changes due in January).
• Started building a 1-acre farm on a previously vacant lot in downtown San Jose.
With these continued efforts, I know we can build a sustainable food system, and it won’t take a miracle to make this happen. Imagine a city dotted with local food system hubs: productive urban farms surrounded by neighborhood gardens and fruit harvesting events. It can happen, and this is what we are working towards. There is plenty of idle land, loaded fruit trees, and people that want to live in better communities. But it will take some help from people like you. Whether it’s a spare dollar, or a spare hour, we can use your help to build something beautiful in San Jose. Let’s create a better food system together.
If you can donate your time, please contact Lan@garden2table.org
If you can donate your dollars, please send them to: 651 Macredes Ave. San Jose, CA 95116 or transfer the funds online by clicking on the donate button at http://garden2table.org/donate.
I believe in this vision, and I promise I will do everything in my power to make it a reality.
Love, thanks, and happy holidays!
Executive Director, Garden to Table